FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions
1. How is using the IntelliGym™ different from playing video games?
While video games were designed for fun, the IntelliGym was built as a workout room for the mind. Would anyone compare a jungle gym to a nautilus machine, even though they both provide exercise?
The IntelliGym™ training program was designed from the bottom up – with the sole goal of improving hockey sense, and is based on solid scientific grounds. This SaaS (Software as a Service) product cognitively simulates the game in real time at your home computer, but there is no storyboard and no fantasy graphics; the goal is to integrate the details of the game into a player's barest attention, until anticipating plays becomes deeply instinctive for him. Most importantly, the program is individually tailored to each player's strengths and weaknesses, tracking progress and adapting to his new level of play as he develops his hockey mind.
2. How long does it usually take to see results?
The IntelliGym™ program has shown great results on the ice after about 10-15 thirty-minute training sessions (2 sessions a week, for about 5-8 weeks.)
3. Are there additional benefits to using the IntelliGym™?
Many of the skills developed by the training program do indeed have a bearing on other aspects of life such as studying or driving. Many parents reported improvement in their children’s school performance, as well. However, these results have not been scientifically measured yet, so we don’t advertise these benefits.
1. How long is a training session?
Around 30 minutes.
2. How long is the entire program?
The IntelliGym™ is part of a player’s ongoing training regimen, just like weight training. As long as an athlete works with it, his sharpness will be maintained and further improved.
3. How often should a player train with the IntelliGym™?
Two-to-three times a week throughout the off-season (shortens adjustment time when you get back on the ice next season!) and one-to-two times a week during the hockey season.
1. Is the Hockey IntelliGym™ limited to a particular level of player?
No. The tool has been proven to improve performance at all levels - a trainee who has his fundamentals in place will benefit, as will athletes at the professional level.
2. Is it aimed at certain age groups? Gender?
The IntelliGym™ is effective for males and females from the age of 10 and up to juniors and pros.
3. Is the Hockey IntelliGym specific to forwards only? Is it effective for goaltenders?
No. The Hockey IntelliGym improves skills that are the base for reading the game of ice hockey, and making decisions accordingly. Goaltenders, defensemen, and forwards, read the same game, at the same speed, and make decisions accordingly. Good goaltenders even take more decisions as they guide their two defensemen on top of making decisions for themselves. Therefore, the Hockey IntelliGym is highly effective for all positions on the ice.
4. Is the training program geared towards teams or individuals?
Both. If the Hockey IntelliGym is purchased for an entire team, the coaches have access to every individual’s attendance and progress reports.
5. How can a player access his progress reports?
The training data is collected on the IntelliGym servers and is available for the athlete and parent / coach by visiting www.usahockeyintelligym.com and choosing Members Area link at the top.
6. Is the training program designed for right-handed as well as left-handed players?
Yes. It should be noted that the hand played on the ice is not necessarily the one used to write or to be dominant in brain workout. It is important that the trainee would feel comfortable handling the controls of the training environment. The program allows right-hand mode (default) as well as a lefty mode.
The keyboard setting for both hands can be found here.
1. Does The Hockey IntelliGym™ run on any computer?
A large variety of personal computers with a standard operating systems (Windows, Mac) will work fine. Here are the system requirements for running the program:
- Intel® Pentium® III processor (Pentium 4 recommended)
- Microsoft® Windows® XP Home, Professional, or Tablet PC Edition with Service Pack 2 or 3, Windows Server® 2003, Windows Vista® Home Premium, Business, Ultimate, or Enterprise (including 64-bit editions) with Service Pack 1, Windows 7 , 8 or 10.
- 512MB of RAM (1GB recommended)
- Graphic Card (GPU), with 128MB memory (256MB recommended)
- Note: Windows 2000 is not supported.
- Intel Core™ Duo or faster processor
- Mac OS X v10.6 or higher
- 512MB of RAM (1GB recommended)
- Note: Mac PowerPC is not supported.
Other Requirements (for all computer types)
- Internet Connection
- Monitor of 14' or bigger, supporting screen resolution of 1024 X 768 or higher.
2. Can it be installed and run on more than one computer?
Yes. Since the account details are kept on the server, the user can sign in from any computer with his user name and password. The number of installations in unlimited.
To install to program, use the Hockey IntelliGym™ Installation Page.
3. Can the IntelliGym™ be run on a PSP? Wii? iPad?
No. The Hockey IntelliGym™ is not a game, but a software-based training program optimized to specific platforms.
4. Does it require an internet connection?
Yes. The system continuously updates the server and the server updates the application to optimize/personalize the tool for the trainee, and help players (and their coaches) track their progress.
5. How do I launch the IntelliGym training environment?
Launching the IntelliGym is done just like any application on your computer.
The simplest way is to keep the Hockey IntelliGym icon on your desktop (or in the dock for mac).
If you do not have the Hockey IntelliGym icon (a blue helmet) on your desktop, do the following -
On a PC: Start -> Applications/Programs -> The Hockey IntelliGym
On a Mac: Launch the finder -> Applications -> The Hockey IntelliGym (after launching it you can make sure it stays in the dock by right clicking on the icon and selecting ‘keep in dock’).
Packages and Pricing
1. How is the software sold?
Online, via the online store (www.usahockeyintelligym.com/shop). The account is created and access details are sent to the customer, much like any other online membership. The customer then downloads and runs the application, which, upon first use will ask some questions to optimize adaptation.
Annual plan is pre-paid once for the year. A 60-days money back guarantee applies for this plan. Monthly plan is paid via recurring monthly payments which are collected starting at the date of purchase. The monthly subscription can be cancelled or converted into the annual plan anytime via the members area.
2. What does the IntelliGym training program include?
The Hockey IntelliGym™ serves as an ongoing training program, just like weight lifting or a personal trainer. The IntelliGym servers track each trainee as he trains, adopt the training program to his optimal needs, and log all the activities for future sessions. Serious athletes add it as a standard element in their training regimen and gain ongoing benefits. The more committed ones, those who train all year round, work out with the IntelliGym on an annual basis, while others, who choose to rest or do other sports during the off season, tend to go with the monthly program.
3. Is there a one month trial version?
At least 6-8 weeks are needed to see initial results on the ice. Therefore, there are two ways to pay for the IntelliGym™. The first, and the one with the best value, is the Annual plan. It lets users have 60 days to experience with the product and track the results on the ice, and if not fully satisfied - a full refund is guaranteed. The second is for those who prefer not to commit in advance. That is the monthly subscription, where customers are charged on a monthly basis, until they choose to convert to the annual plan, or cancel - both are available via the members area.
4. Are there group packages available for teams?
Yes. Details and pricing are listed in the Store's team page.
5. How many players can use one account?
Each account is for one player. The server tracks his special needs, and his progress, adopting the training program to him personally. The account is protected using a username and password.
6. How can the monthly payments account be managed?
The license type can be changed (e.g. switching from a monthly subscription to an annual license) or canceled altogether through the personal Members Area (www.usahockeyintelligym.com/members), under the "Account" section. For changing or updating the credit card details, one should visit the 'License' tab and choose the 'Change Credit Card' button.
1. Error message: "You are Offline"
Description: when trying to run the IntelliGym™, an error message is presented: "You are Offline". However, the computer IS connected to the Internet.
Please follow these steps:
(a) Verify you are online (e.g. by reading this text...)
(b) Open your firewall manager. If it has a black list - make sure the Hockey IntelliGym is not in that list. If it has a white list - make sure the Hockey IntelliGym is part of it
2. An update message is shown, but when the "Update" button is pressed nothing happens
In this case, a manual update may be needed. Please follow the steps listed here.